Thursday, October 18, 2007

Azam the Angel


I am Azam Ali's self proclaimed biggest fan. I have followed her career since Vas' album Sunyatta debuted in 1997. I remember hearing her ethereal voice as I listened to sample selections off of CD's at the now defunct "Natural Wonders" store. My first visual of Azam Ali was a picture of her sitting next to her fellow musician Greg Ellis. Her posture was that of a graceful shy doe; contemplative and very deep.


Azam Ali was born in Iran and moved to India around the age of four. She attended an English boarding school and was exposed to all the richness of Indian culture and music. She moved to the United States when she was a teenager and began studying music.


She sings mostly in languages I cannot understand but the emotion in her voice transcends my failure to comprehend her lyrics. The last few years she has embarked on her solo adventure and collaborated with other musicians (notably in 2005 with her project with Niyaz). She also is featured on the movie '300' soundtrack.


I hope that she'll come to Pittsburgh some day and I'll get to experience her music in concert. It would be nice to witness an angel in person!

1 comment:

Blog hog said...

Azi Ali is in my kitchen right now making Ham sandwiches.
She knows how to keep a man happy:) hehe