Friday, December 7, 2007

Nostalgic Metallica


Metallica was my favorite band in the mid 80s to early 90s. Anytime music from their first four albums is playing it immediately takes me back to being a teenager. Life seemed like a struggle but it really wasn't. While most girls were starting to discover make up and boys, I was delving into the boy dominated world of heavy metal. I wore my hair like Jason Newsted (long but shaved on the sides) and had a complete wardrobe of blue jeans, concert t-shirts and assorted tennis shoes with black laces. Yeah, it's no wonder the opposite sex didn't notice me at all! Metallica was my refuge and my religion and to this day I can recite 99% of the songs verbatim just like a Catholic can remember all the prayers and rituals. I can still smell the new LP sleeve from ...And Justice for All and remember the look on my Mother's face when she caught me singing "The Shortest Straw." one afternoon circa 1988. This band brings back so many memories of my awkward adolescence but looking back it wasn't all that bad. Now, I'm an adult and I have adult problems like work, bills and how much the gas prices are affecting the cost of living. What I wouldn't give sometimes to go back to that place and time. Just for a little while; to play my bass and feel the burn of the blisters giving way to callouses. To be back in 1989 before life was complicated and just enjoy my obnoxious Metallica music that my parents hated and still do to this day. I really don't listen to them that much anymore but if I'm at the bar or in my car, just sometimes, I turn them on and get lost in the moment. As James Hetfield would say "that's hella cool!"

No comments: